After reading all of the directions I popped the cup in on the first try with no real problems. Getting it out the next morning, however, was a severe challenge, even though it was not too far in there. A couple of the problems were that:
Although, my nails were shorter, they were square, which made me feel like I was pinching myself while trying to remove the cup. SUPER uncomfortable, traumatizing and concerning because vaginal tears are not cute and could lead to infection.
As a result, I made sure to scrub in like I was about to perform a surgery each and every time I had to go in there. However, now that my nails are longer, they are actually round/almond shaped, and not nearly as dangerous, apparently. I think it’s a combination of using a better technique and also being more relaxed and patient.
You have to reeeally be both relaxed and patient with your body and this foreign-ass object. I didn’t attempt to remove in the shower this month, because I’m in Mexico, so I don’t have the luxury of endless hot water like at home for one. Also, from trial and error, I just know the path of least resistance is for me to sit on the toilet. I do insert it standing, post shower sometimes. Although, you can shower with it (and I have) the timing to change just happens to coincide with my twice a day shower schedule, in most cases.
The directions said to use your forefinger and thumb to pull the cup out when full. My forefinger simply is not long enough, agile enough, nor strong enough to grip it properly— which probably contributed to a lot of grasping, missing and pinching last month. I'm happy to report all 3 are down by at least 95%. This month I actually forgot about that little rule and intuitively decided to use my middle finger and thumb, which made removal sooo much easier. Like Gawd!! So much better!!!
The directions said that you could leave it in for up to 12 hours. I call bullshit, if you have a heavy flow. My max was about 5 hours until leakage during my heavy days. That's not terrible, but I think the whole 12 hour thing set up a false expectation in my mind, that there would be no leakage for 12 hours. Which, therefore, made me feel like maybe I was not doing something right because it kept leaking, and I had to remove and readjust it often. The first time worked perfectly with no leaking for at least 8 hours as I slept. So the 2-3 days after was quite frustrating.
The second month, again just relying on intuition, I said let me use a liner with this thing whenever I’m out— just in case. You might think that this should've been common sense, but it wasn't because of another false expectation that it wasn’t supposed to leak (which it actually doesn’t when inserted properly and not at maximum capacity). The first month I was fully expecting 8-12 hours of use, because that is what so many other women were saying they were able to do.
*Side bar. Full disclosure: I only started watching reviews once I felt like the device was failing me. However, in retrospect, I think it was more or less user error.