Sassy Appétit: Green Shrimp Curry-In-A-Hurry
Most often the key to a quick, easy meal is often in the prep and time-coordinated execution. It also helps to have some staples on hand that pair well.
Random, but relevant story: A certain someone was supposed to be cooking dinner tonight but got called away to greet roadside assistance to change our flat tire in the garage (real random– right?).
Starved, I decided I could not wait an additional 15 minutes for them to come back and start dinner when I could go ahead and put something tasty together in the time it would take for them to get back. Hence, this Green Shrimp Curry– I only used 5 ingredients + water and got it from the stove to the table in about 15 minutes! I went into what I call the ‘Single Survivor, damn I’m ready to eat’ mode!
What you need:
Trader Joe’s Thai Green Curry Simmer Sauce
1 cup Trader Joe’s Quick-Cook Organic Brown Basmati Rice
Trader Joe’s Garlic Naan
8-10 large shrimp
2 ¾ Cups of water
What you’ll do:
1. Heat the stove to 400 degrees and pop the naan in
2. Add the 2.5 cups of water and 1 cup of rice to a pot on medium high heat. (Save the ¼ cup of water for step 5)
3. While waiting for your rice+water to boil clean the shrimp and set aside
4. By the time you finish that annoying shrimp-cleaning task, the rice should be boiling. Turn down to a simmer and cover (total cooking time including boiling is about 12 minutes)
5. Grab another pot and add the curry sauce + ¼ of water. I like to swish the water around the jar to get the excess sauce out. Bring that to a boil; while waiting rinse and chop your broccoli and set aside
6. Toss the shrimp in the boiling curry sauce until opaque (almost done– about 2 mins.). Add the broccoli last and toss to cover with sauce. At this point I remove the pot from the burner because I like my broccoli very crunchy. Plus, once it comes in contact with the hot sauce it will continue to cook, regardless.
7. Remove naan and fluff your rice, that 12 minutes should be up by now!
Grab a bowl and get ready to grub, you’re basically done!
Let me know if you try this out– it’s one of my go-to-in-a-hurry staples!
Keep it SASSY,